So I am now officially more than half way done my TEFL course. I think I lucked out because really week 3 is supposed to be the "hardest" week. Since the first day we started all we have heard from former TEFL graduates is how it is OK to break down and cry the third week. However, I am teaching upper intermediate students this week and they are amazing! They understand and LOT of Cesky (because most of them have been studying United for years) and they LOVE to debate issues. There are only 3 women in the class so sometimes you need to assign roles to get a good debate going. My debate topic today was "Is it ever OK to take advantage of or kill your own children?" (A little heavy I know, but it was based off of an article from BBC World News about a French couple who killed their child with Down Syndrome), I assigned an older lady the conservative position of "No it is never OK," and crazy lady with the position of "it is sometimes OK-my favorite of hers response was" sometimes it is ok to kill your children, like for example if they are ugly! "haha and I assigned the youngest student in the class of the position" It is definitely OK to kill your children. "All in all it was a very successful lesson and I received yet washed best grade on it! (We are observed by experienced TEFL teachers during each lesson and afterwards they grade us and review our lessons.)
So I have not cried yet this week (or at all! Yay me!) And I do not think week 3 is going to get me - tomorrow I am doing a lesson on "Teachers who date their students" (I smell another heated debate . ...) and I am using the "Friend's" clip when Ross dates when his student, to introduce the topic. Does it get any better than that? Pretty much my lesson planning for tonight is to watch Friends!
Or ... Week 3 could be going so well because I am coming off a great weekend of festivals Federweisser (Federweisser is a sweet wine that is only in season for a short period of time-last weekend was the first weekend of the season) We stumbled upon 2 festivals with food stands, shopping stands, live music and lots of Federweisser. It was a fantastic weekend and gave us a chance to relax. We also have some apartment viewings lined up for this week-so I will let you know how that goes as well. And to top it all off-I am hoping to get my resume out to at least 15 or so schools would be tomorrow night ... so wish me luck with that!
* I also realzied the reason for a lot of the typos in my earlier Blogs-I write them in microsoft word then copy and paste them to blogspot and it translates part of them to Cesky-(so it also translates mistakes such as confusing word order and making Federweisser into Budweieesier) So until I try to figure that out, I apologize for the typos .*
Hope you all well with everyone! I miss you all! If you have any other Q's or anything you are wondering about let me know, and I will try to get around to answering them! Love ya! xoxoxo
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Apartment hunting? How long are you planning to stay?
ReplyDeleteGlad you haven't had any tearful moments! I wish I could come debate these topics, you know me...I love a good argument.
ReplyDeleteHey June... I am hopefully staying until May, but I will be home for Christmas and to meet my new niece!!! :) I'm glad you are reading my blog!
ReplyDelete* grrr I already noticed the typo translator in this blog!!!
They changed English to Cesky
and then English to United... stick with me guys I am working on the auto translator thing....*
and Fedweisser/Budweisser (which are very different things) should be Burcak wine!
ReplyDeleteLainey. I loved the pictures you posted. The buildings and scenery look amazing. We will need a slide show at Christmas. Your Mom gave Nana your address, Prague, Czech Republic. Do they use zip codes? If so, let me know.
ReplyDeleteLainey Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained. It's ok to cry sometimes, just sayin.... Love you, Mom
ReplyDeleteLove that you used "Friends" in your lesson!!! Glad to hear that things are going well. Love ya:)
ReplyDelete